<$BlogRSDURL$>

jueves, agosto 16, 2007

I Am Booooored



It's now been about 2 months (or more) since I was actually super busy (or busy at all) at work. I actually finished a novel by keeping it open next to me and glancing sideways at it occasionally. I hate just parking my butt in front of a computer with nothing to do.



Anyway, here are some random things that I sort of wanted to share:



1. Steampunk

During my random websurfs (and I've been doing lots of these, since I have nothing else to do), I discovered a couple of really great and interesting blogs, and they led me to discover... Steampunk!!! (the word and the concept). Some things we know, love and that are steampunk: old watches, His Dark Materials, Howl's Moving Castle, La cité des enfants perdus, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Lemony Snicket, and M. Verne. Think of something like retro-futurism, or amazing flying machines (not boring old airplanes). For more info and a better explanation/starting point, look here.



2. And the prize for the most wishy-washy couple in about 160 Nights so far...

goes to Prince Ali-Ben-Bekar and Princess Shamsennahar. All they do is faint, I'm serious. They faint when: they first meet each other; they listen to lovely verses; they have to separate; they hear news of each other; the Princess sees the sultan (she's his favourite concubine); they get mugged (this at least is a little bit scary for their little birdy hearts); they think of what might happen to them; they hear beautiful music; they hear that the other one is sick because of love. Good news, bad news, it doesn't matter. They faint. Actually, at the end of the story, they even faint to death. EVERYONE, and I mean everyone in the story is super nice to them, even the sultan when he is told that she has a lover (who by the way she only ever saw once, and I think they didn't even kiss), even the bandits who kidnap them. It's really exasperating, a kind of anti-Romeo and Juliet thing (where everyone is trying to get them together and help them, while they lie about in bed fainting and complaining until they die). Boy, was I glad when that story was over. I really hated those whiny guys (and how Holden Caulfieldesque those last two sentences turned out).

Comments:

Publicar un comentario

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?